Wednesday, December 2, 2009

your pedestal is made of butta

as it turns out everyone is equal. I used to do this terrible thing, well still doing it but realizing it faster so it does not last as long, I used to put people on pedestals and think that they were somehow more important and just more than myself. No, I know can you imagine a lady bug warrior feeling less than anyone well, yes I would meet someone and become impressed and think that this person's talent, intelligence, confidence, whatever....made them somehow more deserving, entitled and less accountable. I did it...I put them on a pedestal. AHHHHH.... it wasn't their fault, they didn't ask for it but I just made a decision to think of them as more than me or rather me less than them. Confidence is the great equalizer and turns out those pedestals were just made of butta (the LI version of butter) and these people are fine but no more or no less important than myself, (well maybe a hair less), because as Whitney say's " I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows
If I fail, if I succeed
At least I live as I believe
No matter what they take from me
They can't take away my dignity
Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me
I found the greatest love of all
Inside of me
The greatest love of all
Is easy to achieve
Learning to love yourself
It is the greatest love of all"- hope you sang along.
I spoke to a few of these people I second guessed myself to over this past holiday weekend and I laughed at how they have faults, frailties, insecurities, all of it, turns out they are just as human as I am. Pedestals are fine for my flowering Christmas Cactus however for anything else they are just made of butta. The moment I realized this I felt instantly funnier, smarter, sexier because I gave myself all of this love, respect, and entitlement that I was busy using to keep them on a pedestal. There are many people I admire- the guy who gave up his seat on the bus, the single mom who is busting her butt, the anonymous kidney donor. Thanks for reading, this is seeming a bit "Oprah lite" to me however it is just part of my journey so thanks for reading.
xo, Vicki
This was a quote that I had hanging on my wall in my NYC apartment and it is funny the more "real " my life gets the more I get this quote-

Nelson Mandela - Our Greatest Fear

Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate,
but that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,
gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.

And, as we let our own light shine, we consciously give
other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our fear,
our presence automatically liberates others.

No comments:

Post a Comment